Couscous is a time savior. It’s a perfect snack or even a ready-made side dish. Couscous is a type of semolina made from durum wheat. It is very popular in North Africa and Eastern countries. Unfortunately, it’s not as popular as rice or even oat. To my mind, it is not fair to underestimate couscous. So I want to tell you how to cook a perfect couscous.
The most common kind of couscous is a small couscous which you can cook for 5 minutes. There is also the Israeli variety of couscous – ptitim. It’s bigger and you can cook it for around 10-15 minutes. But I’ll tell you how to cook the first variant.
- Steam couscous with boiling water in a ratio of 1:1. Not less, not more. After pouring water in a bowl with couscous, stir it. And cover the bowl with a lid.
- Be sure the water is really hot.
- Add butter or olive oil, salt, pepper, and other spices before you add water to couscous. As a result, you’ll get a cooked dish.
- Don’t leave couscous steaming for long. 5 minutes is more than enough so that grains don’t stick with each other.
- You can use couscous for salads, for example, tabouli salad.
Cooking is easy!